Limewashing provides a translucent milky appearance to your timber flooring, becoming the new favourite for many homeowners due to the dreamy and rustic look it offers.
We have a range of different methods using different products to suit different styles.
Sand the substrate in stages through to a 120 - 150 grit screen. Always sand in the direction of the grain pattern where possible, ensuring the removal of any blemishes and glue residue prior to application. Take care to remove all traces of sanding dust.
The surface which is to be treated must be sanded back to bare wood, dry and free from sanding dust, oil, wax and other contaminants.
- Fill gaps between floor boards and skirting boards
- Fill holes, splits, dents and other surface imperfections
1. Shake container thoroughly before use and insert the supplied filter. Pour finish into the supplied container (box + bag).
2. It is recommended to pour through an external strainer so as to minimize the potential for lumps.
3. Apply Bona White using a roller.
4. Start the application by stroking the roller along the room's edge (going wall to wall) along the grain of the wood.
5. Use a brush and reach all the way out to the edge.
6. Smooth brush application with the roller.
7. Stroke once again with the roller, but leave a small space between the previous roller strokes.
8. Close and smooth out the gap.
9. Repeat using the same method until the entire floor has been succefully treated
10. When dry (approx. 2–3 hours), you may choose to use Thin Maroon Pad to reduce grain raise.
11. Remove all dust after sanding.
12. Bona White should never be used as the final treatment for timber floors. It must be overcoated. To achieve the true white, scandinavian-style colour overcoat with Bona Traffic HD or Bona Traffic HD Anti-slip.
If a more intense white look is desired, then apply an additional layer of Bona White before sealing the surface with one of Bona’s protective lacquers. It is not recommended to apply more than two full coats per day as this will increase the risk of excessive wood swelling.
Note: Bona White is primarily intended for strip and plank floors laid in falling lengths. The risk of visible application strokes increases if applying diagonally or across the grain of the wood.
1. Shake the contents well and always check the shade before application.
2. Fiddes Nitro Stains can wither be wiped on and wiped off, rolled and left to settle or buffed in.
- For a deep colour roll out the stain evenly using a roller in the direction of the grain working out a few boards/areas at a time. Use a paint brush to blend end of boards and leave.
- For a lighter two-toned effect use a slow speed buffing machine (175RPM) with a Nitro Buffing Cloth. Pour the stain directly onot the pad and buff in evenly. Brush the stain on edges and rag off excess.
- By hand - Take a clean, lint free cotton cloth or sponge and apply in the direction of the wood grain where possible. Take care to remove any excess stain immediately with a seperate, clean absorbent cloth, again following the direction of the grain.
3. Leave to dry (approx. 1-4 hours WEATHER PENDING AND APPLICATION CHOICE), you may choose to use Thin Maroon Pad to reduce grain raise.
4. Fiddes Nitro Stain should not be left as is and requires 2 top coats of Fiddes Hard Wax Oil. Stir Hard Wax Oil thoroughly. Use a brush or painters pad to cut into the edges first. Apply THINLY using a brush or short nap/gloss roller and lay evenly following the direction of the grain. Leave to dry for 4 - 6 hours (WEATHER PENDING). Ensure surface is clean and repeat for second coat.
1. Shake the contents well.
3. Using a roller apply mixture rolling with the grain.
4. Allow to dry, you may choose to use Thin Maroon Pad to reduce grain raise.
5. Apply following coats as per normal. If you require the floor to be lighter than it already is you may add Loba Whitener to following coats.
1. Shake the contents well.
2. Apply Polycure Aquapro 2770 Limewash Pigment Stain using an applicator pad going with the grain, approx 3 - 4 boards at a time.
3. Rag off product immediately after applying.
4. Conitnue process until complete.
5. Allow to dry, you may choose to use Thin Maroon Pad to reduce grain raise.
6. Apply 1 coat of Polycure Fastaseal 3535 to lock in the colour of the Pigment Stain.